Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Sweet Carrot Hummus Dip

Chickpeas are your best friends. You can mix them with whatever comes to your mind and you will get a delicious and filling Hummus. Yes, it’s that simple. Just think about a dish you fancy and make it a Hummus. So did I yesterday, when my high school friend came over for lunch. I wanted to make a light snack, that we could just crunch on while talking about our life’s journeys. I remembered him preparing a “quick snack” during break one day.
I was sitting at his kitchen table trying hopelessly to finish the last chapter of a book for homework before class while he was busy cooking and talking about how good carrots are for the eyes . He would accurately cut them, fry them in a pan with butter and add some honey at the end. I would watch him patiently, thinking why we can’t just through some deep frozen pizza into the oven instead of trying to bring these tasteless vegetables alive (sorry, I was a teenager). But when I tried his caramelized carrots I suddenly felt the bliss of a good surprise.
Holy shit, that was some good stuff. He was the first person to inspire me to experiment with food, with good food (thank’s man!). Anyway, back to Hummus. I prepared a wonderful sweet carrot Hummus for his visit. A little healthy snack that shows my appreciation (and how good of a cook I am). He came, he ate and he loved it. When I told him about my inspiration we were right back down memory lane for a whole afternoon. Thank’s food!
Recipe: Sweet Carrot Hummus Dip


2  medium sized carrots

sugar or honey of your choice

2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 cups of chickpeas (soaked overnight and cooked or can)
1-2 tablespoons of tahini
2 garlic cloves
1-2 tablespoons Juice of fresh lemon or lime
Cumin
Salt


Pepper

Cut carrots in any form (not too small not too big). In a pan let them fry in coconut oil for a few minutes until they get this golden color. That’s when you add some sugar or drizzle some honey to it. Wait another minute and stir carefully so it doesn’t burn. Your carrots should have a golden brownish crust on them. Now bring them to dance in your blender together with chickpeas and tahini and then slowly add the other ingredients. Don’t put everything at once, better taste yourself through the flavors to find a good balance. Once finished garnish with carrot sticks and have it with some yummy pita bread.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment